Legal Aid Cell
The institution has established a permanent Legal Aid Cell which is constituted as per BCI Rules to assist
the under privileged and rural community in its endeavour to secure the Justice for all. The Legal Aid Cell
of the institution in collaboration with District Legal Service Authority, Dibrugarh has organized various
outreach programmes such as legal aid camps, legal literacy programmes, human rights awareness programmes,
Lok Adalat visit, workshops, etc. jointly and independently on burning legal issues as part of its activities
from time to time. The Cell is a means of exposure to the students to understand the nature of cases and the modes
of settlement. The Legal Aid Cell is manned by Para Legal Volunteers (Law Students) with sense of commitment,
sensibility and sensitiveness to the problems of the common people who are under the supervision of a Co-Ordinator
and three other faculty members of the college. The Para Legal Volunteers have been participating in various
training programmes under the District Legal Service Authority, Dibrugarh from time to time.
Objectives of the Legal Aid Cell:
Members of the Legal Aid Cell:
- To provide free legal services to the poor and weaker sections of the Society.
- To provide inexpensive local machinery for handling legal services of basic nature like legal advices,
drafting petitions, notices, replies and other documents of legal importance.
- To resolve disputes of local people through meditation and conciliation and thereby
preventing the disputes from reaching Courts.
- To impart clinical education as part of practical training and also to imbibe the students
to commit to social service to help the weaker sections of the society
- To afford an opportunity to every student to play important active role in legal
empowerment for the marginalized sections of the society.
||Mr. Mononjit Baruah
||Mr. Arup Kumar Phukan
||Professional Expert (Visiting Faculty)
||Mr. Jiba Kanta Changmai
||Professional Expert (Visiting Faculty)
||Mr. Rafiul Ahmed
Various Activities of the Legal Aid Cell:
- The college in collaboration with District Legal Services Authority, Dibrugarh organized in its premises a one day
long Workshop on “Protection of Women from Domestic Violence and Law Relating To Women and Child Trafficking” on 6th May, 2017 where eminent spoke persons including then the Deputy Commission of Dibrugarh, Mrs. Laya Madduri and then the Vice Chancellor of Dibrugarh University, Professor Alak K Buragohain delivered speeches which was attended by the faculties and students of law colleges along with general degree colleges.
- The college in colloboration with District Legal Service Authority, Dibrugarh along with Assam State Legal Services
Authority, Guwahati organised in its college campus a meeting on “Alternative Dispute Resolution” (ADR)
on 24th August, 2017 to create awarness among the public the need for resorting to ADR Mechanisim and its benefit
as alternative to regular Court cases.
- The College in colloboration with District Legal Service Authority, Dibrugarh organised a Legal Awareness Camp on
the subject of “Protection of Women, Land Disputes and Succession” at the premise of Bukahulla Primary School at
Khowang Bukahulla Gaon on 24th September, 2017 to create awarness among the public of that locality on the above subject
matter and the faculties along with the students answered various queries of the public relating to the topic.
- A group of 12 students of 2016-2019 Batch, under the guidance of Mr. Mononjit Baruah on special invitation for
benefit of the students by the District Legal Service Authority, Dibrugarh attended a “20 Hours Refresher Programme
for Trained Mediators” organised by Assam Legal Services Authority in Association with DLSA, Dibrugarh and MCPC,
Supreme Court of India at Vishranta Conference Hall, Dibrugarh University from 15th -17th October, 2017 which was
presided over by Hon'ble (Rtd.) Mr. Justice Hrishikesh Roy.
- A group of 5 students designated as para legal volunteers of D.H.S.K.Law College, Dibrugarh under DLSA,
Dibrugarh namely Shri Alok Kar Dowerah, Ms. Popy Roy, Shri Farhan Rafique, Shri Debojit Phukan and Shri Shivam Dey
participated in a Legal Service Camp at Dibru Mising Higher Secondary School, Deorighat and various places of Dhemaji
from 11th February-15th February, 2018 organised by Assam State Legal Services Authority under the leadership of
Hon’ble (Rtd.) Mr. Justice Hrishikesh Roy, Judge Guwahati High Court and Executive Chairman. ASLSA.
- A Legal Awareness Programme was organized on 24th May, 2019 by the Legal Aid Cell of D.H.S.K.Law College in collaboration with District Legal Services Authority, Dibrugarh on the Topic “Motor Vehicle Act and Rule” at the college premises for the benefit of the students and the community residing nearby to the college regarding the various amendments made by the Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Act, 2019.
- A Legal Awareness Camp was held on 09.11.2019 by the Legal Aid Cell of D.H.S.K.Law College in collaboration
with District Legal Services Authority, Dibrugarh at Itakhuli Dihingthan High School within the vicinity of Lezai
Village relating to issues concerning Land Rights and Disputes, Child Marriage, Child Education and Child Labour.